Car Insurance Help Centre / Who and What We Cover

Do you cover for business use?

If you use your car for work, this cover's the business.

If you use your car while you're working, rather than just driving it to work and back, you'll need business use cover.

We don't offer business use cover as standard, but it is something we provide*.

Business use cover can be taken out at the start of a policy, or added at any point by using your online account - MySeguromo. Once business use has been added, it will be shown on your insurance certificate.

Business use is restricted to driving for your business, or the business of your spouse/common law partner.

*Certain restrictions apply.

Adding business cover is likely to result in your premium rising. But, as there's no admin fee if you make the changes online, it's already saved you money.

Contact Us

Do you cover for driving abroad?

Taking your car abroad? You may already be covered.

Planning on driving your car in Europe? You may already be covered. Your car insurance policy provides the same level of cover you have in the Ireland while you are abroad in the European Union* for up to 45 days free of charge in any one period of insurance.

* Countries Covered

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic

  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary

  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg

  • Malta
  • Norway
  • The Netherlands (Holland)
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia

  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

We do not cover any other countries.

Contact Us

Do you cover motorbikes?

We do not cover motorcycles.

Contact Us

Do you cover written-off vehicles?

A write-off is right out.

Written-off vehicles come in four different classes - Categories A, B, C and D. We do not insure any of them.

Contact Us

Driving someone else's car

Check your cover before you drive.

If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover the policyholder, in the event of an emergency, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car which you do not own or have not hired or leased, as long as:

  1. the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement
  2. you currently hold a Full European Union (EU) Licence
  3. Protection against damage to other peoples' cars and property
  4. the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of insurance
  5. cover is not provided by any other insurance
  6. you are not connected in any way with the Motor or Licence Trade
  7. you have the owners permission to drive the vehicle
  8. the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
  9. you still have your vehicle and it is not damaged beyond cost-effective repair
  10. the vehicle driven must be of the same size and cylinder capacity as the insured vehicle or alternatively no higher than a 2000cc vehicle

This extension applies while being driven within the territorial limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include

  • Vans
  • Car - Vans
  • Jeep - type vehicles with no seats in the back; or
  • Vans adapted to carry passengers

Contact Us

Indemnity Letters

If you require business and your employer requires an Indemnity letter please contact us.

Contact Us

Breakdown assistance policies come with Roadside Assistance cover along with Home Start as standard. Full terms and conditions of the cover is detailed in our policy wording.

If you have to make a claim our contact details are:

  • Phone from Ireland: 01 804 4328.

Click here to view our Breakdown Assistance.

Contact Us

Types of cover

Fully Comprehensive

Car insurance comes in two basic types. The biggest difference between the two is that one protects you and your car in an accident, the other doesn't. But it's not quite that simple, so here's a quick overview of what's covered.

Comprehensive car insurance includes:

  • Repair or replacement of your car if it is damaged or stolen
  • Protection against injury to you or other people
  • Protection against damage to other peoples' cars and property
  • Windscreen repair or replacement
  • Cover if your car stereo is damaged or stolen

Third party fire and theft car insurance includes:

  • Protection against damage to other peoples' cars and property - but not your own
  • Protection against injury to other people
  • Repair or replacement of your car if it is stolen or damaged by fire

When choosing insurance we include both covers as standard. Full details of cover is detailed in our policy wording.

Contact Us

Who underwrites our policies insurance is underwritten by AIG Europe Limited. AIG Europe Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority of the United Kingdom and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.

AIG Europe Limited is a provider of innovative products and services to more than half of the country's top 100 companies as well as many public and private sector organisations and tens of thousands of individuals. They are part of AIG Inc., a world leading property-casualty and general insurance organisation with a 90-year history, serving more than 40 million clients in over 160 countries and jurisdictions.

AIG Ireland offers an extensive range of products and services, deep claims expertise and excellent financial strength.

Contact Us

Who we cover

Are you covered by who we cover?

There are some people we don't insure.

We provide policies to Irish residents who are aged over 21 or under 75.

We can't cover anyone:

  • with non-motoring offences unspent under Rehabilitation of Offenders Act
  • who has had insurance declined, cancelled, voided, or special terms imposed
  • who works part or full-time in:
    • entertainment (except as a musician), gambling, modelling, and professional sports
    • foreign or diplomatic service
    • scrap, second-hand dealers and merchants, market and street traders
    • bailiffs, debt collectors, bodyguards or doormen/women
    • mobile mechanics, taxi or mini-cab drivers
    • couriers, dispatch drivers, mobile caterers, or fast food delivery drivers

We do not cover more than three drivers on any one policy.

Contact Us

Windscreen cover

Windscreen cover, clearly a good deal.

With windscreen cover, we will pay to repair or replace broken glass in your car's windscreen or windows, through our approved supplier Auto Windscreens. You can make a claim without affecting your No Claims Discount.

Our comprehensive "xtra" car insurance includes windscreen cover as standard.

Our Windscreen repairer can be contacted at 1850 200 552

Our windscreen cover does not include any excess even were the windows need replaced.

Contact Us